Sunday, May 23, 2010

Life's Too Short ... to chop salad and veggies.

Believe me, I'm all for recycling and being socially responsible but I really cannot include washing and chopping my life away in this category. It maybe means that Farmer's Markets won't work for me but at least I'm not driving a Hummer to the market, and I am not using gallons of water to wash mother earth off my spinach - surely that counts for something. I'm a single woman it doesn't even make economic sense to watch left-over fresh veggies rot in my fridge and then there's all the cleaning out of the rotten stuff. I am, however, more than happy to wash my cans for recycling as there is no viable alternative for the environmentally conscious.


BTW - no arugula in the salad mix if I am eating at your place!

No, it really just makes sense to do something else with my time - patting a dog, emailing a friend, emailing a not-so-much-friend, getting some exercise, paying a bill I forgot, cleaning a closet, contemplating my next move.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to agree with you, Betty, but the joy of chopping one's own vegetables that one grows in one's own garden is a life-affirming joy. Imagine, if you will, a salad that just moments ago was growing in your garden and never touched by anyone else's hands but your own. Last night's salad included romaine, butter,and red-leaf lettuce along with tender spinach, and yes, arugula (perennial--very spicy) all grown in our own garden. We have no left overs to rot in the fridge since we pick only as much as we need. Now, if only I could get the racoons and the cats to stop peeing on the stuff, all would be well.

    ReplyDelete