Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lifes' too short ...to bite the bullet


I am not a medication seeker, nor do I turn to the bottle or other substances to numb psychological pain; however, in the right circumstances I am a firm believer in a little judicious help to ease physical pain. It's more that OK - it's just civilized.
Having experienced child birth by cesarean section (note twice), I believe I can talk with some authority to those medical professionals and others who talk as if experiencing pain is a character flaw.
"Here bite this and it will hardly hurt at all" she says, as she rips off the wax strip. "This will only take a minute" he says, probing that sensitive tooth. "Just relax - my you're tense". Yes, you had better believe I'm tense, you're hurting me and overpowering my slim grasp on yoga breathing.
Another thing, acupuncture, sold as a benign, nay spiritual intervention has a major sting. No one told me that - how about you?
FYI, being lied to about pain just makes me more stressed and so rise up I say! Don't bite the bullet. Insist that people are gentle, thoughtful and give you a reasonable amount of pain relief.
One of my greatest finds is a dentist who believes that treatment should be a painless experience and guess what, I have been going to him regularly for fifteen years. I've not the slightest intention of looking for another dentist any time soon. Painless dentistry practitioners should be handsomely rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment