Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Life's too short ... to work in a job you hate

I believe that every job I have ever had, I stayed there at least a year too long. Now of course the trick is to figure out when the beginning of that year is - whereas I am better at figuring out when the end of it is.

I happen to be a great employee - I work hard, go the extra mile, create, solve problems, and encourage fun in the workplace. When the ads call for 'a self-starter who can work with little supervision' - I'm their girl. But when these very assets turn into things you resent doing, and far from making you popular back at the office they become the things that people don't like about you (and believe me this can happen), it's time to head for the hills and after that to update the old resume.

Life is definitely too short not to know a few basics. I figured out kinda late on that I really only work well when there is a high percentage of innovation and creativity involved. I used to think it was a virtue to stick a job out for ever - forgetting that my skill-set is not in putting one foot in front of the other. I just cannot get motivated to do that and so I have a tendency to become an irritant to people who need to consolidate, to take a break and catch up. So guess what - I begin to hate that job. Even though I'm quite capable of managing the day to day stuff and am solidly dependable, when the atmosphere of creativity goes - so does my motivation. Some people love things to be the other way around. Isn't that a great thing!

So being a consultant is great for me. I get to be with organizations when my kind of energy and skills are just what they need.

I searched on the web to find something educational that would spice up this blog but the people who hate their jobs sound so angry that I couldn't stand it. Angry - now there's a big clue. So instead, I offer Gustavo Dudamel one of my favourite guys in the world - and nobody loves his job the way this guy does. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwZAkfLKK8

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that, Betty. What a blessing to all concerned to know when the time comes to make a change. Thank goodness all kinds of workers are needed to keep our world running!

    ReplyDelete