Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Life's too short ... to choose only financial goals

I like the security that money brings, and I like to buy stuff, and I like to share. The proof is that not only did I spend my money traveling to Venice last year, I took a photo of this very classy store on Murano Island. So I am in no way against having financial goals but I can say with absolute certainty that the most boring and trying people in the world are people who only have financial goals and that this is not the same as saying I hate rich folks.

It is not by any means only people with conspicuous wealth that have this problem - those we imagine sitting in their mansions guarding their locked safe and art work. Some people with modest means may in fact be some of the most driven in the direction of a fixation on mullah. I have often screamed (so that only I could hear) as people talk about the price of everything but the value of nothing.

It is possible to plan your finances and set goals that take you beyond the material and self interest. There is middle ground between Gandhi and King Midas. We each need to find where that is for ourselves.

Steven Covey suggests that in planning out your life, imagine looking down on your own memorial service and think what it is that you would like people to say about you. This seems like a good starting place and for most people will stimulate thoughts that go beyond material wealth. I personally have no ambition to overhear the comment: "Oh she had houses and shoes to die for, but we had to pay all these people to be here because she had no friends, and her family are all on vacation."

The legend of King Midas and the Golden Touch was born in Turkey. Check out the story. http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/History/KingMidas.html

No comments:

Post a Comment