Sunday, July 25, 2010

Life's too short ... to use mind altering substances




Now I know that this one is could alienate those readers who love to relax with a glass of wine. It may even annoy those who think that people who don't use mind-altering substances are (a) dull (b) party poopers (c) recovering addicts a.k.a. 'quitters'.


Thing is .... none of these are true about me and don;t just take my word for it, ask my friends. However, I have watched people in my circle become (a) dull (b) party poopers (c) addicts (quitters and the other kind) - and all because of alcohol and drugs.


Give me a person who enjoys life on its own terms. Who can take the sky whether it is blue or grey and still find fun, peace and enjoyment. Who can enjoy music, dancing and just talking while their mind is clear


If you are in recovery - my greatest wishes and admiration go with you. If you are looking for pain medication in a bottle or whatever - look elsewhere and find other help that doesn't damage you or those around you.


If you enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or a cocktail on the patio or a beer with a game I don't want to be down on you if that is where it ends but if the substances is consuming you or your family then try taking this quick self-adminsitered test about your alcohol use: http://alcoholism.about.com/od/tests/a/fiveshot.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment